26 August 2010

More YOU:create creations...



so i've been playing around with watercolors lately, as i shared last week...but i have this vision i want to create & i'm not quite sure *how* to accomplish the look i'm aiming for. So i've been practicing various techniques on a smaller scale until i get it perfect for my largest canvas yet. this image started out as a train wreck. i can't even tell you how close it came to decorating the garbage can & never premiering for YOU:create but i just kept adding colors & features. then...i got truly inspired!


i made the camera with strips of newspaper, did a translucent grey wash, then added some shimmer & rock salt for the 'flash'...then layer it with a picture of one of my favorite nephews...

i was also lucky enough to find this word in the newspaper...so, i might have over done the shimmer...but that just proves why GOOD. LIGHTING. is imperative to good artwork:

then there is the self portrait i've been working on for years...taking a break from watercolor while delving back into the world of graphite & charcoal. still unfinished. shocking.

and those are my creations for this week! i'm really loving the inspiration that YOU:create provides for me! I've already started next weeks project...and while not watercolor related, it will be fun!!

5 comments:

Prudy said...

That's REALLY cool looking.

Kaycee said...

I think that turned out great! Funny how when you just keep at it and keep changing it projects can sometimes turn from something you are ready to toss out to something you love. The camera is adorable!

Also (not judging at all here) I vote you should finish your self portrait for YOU:create one of these weeks. I know it's inspired me to finish some projects like that. And what a cool thing to have done! :)

trixerelixer said...

@Kaycee thank you! it was crazy how the piece transformed! kinda glad i managed to at least not hate the end product! :)

@prudy thanks!

Anonymous said...

they look awesome! i like the texture in the first one and the second one looks like it's well on it's way!

Gitz 'n Jo said...

I swear, someday I'm going to try mixed media like this. I love how you can take something you're not sure of, add layers, and make something AMAZING.