29 June 2009

Starving...

Recently i had an epiphany...not just a tiny little light bulb epiphany, this was more like a tornado warning siren. the grab-a-pillow-and-head-for-cover type epiphany. i've been taking small steps toward stupid. i've been starving and didn't realize it. starving...not so literal in the i-haven't-enough-to-eat context because, hello, i think i'd realize that a lot quicker. no, no, i've been starving spiritually. i let this happen, and because it was just a little at a time i didn't even know it until recently. i can't tell you how long it's been since i have looked forward to church. i had allowed myself to become content in the monatany of church "just because". i've accepted ignorance & slowly ignored things that i know aren't right. i've begun to just go to church. right now church just feels like a place to sit on sunday...this bothers me, i've never felt this way about church! i know i'm called to be INVOLVED. i know this, this is when God teaches me the most things. i guees i've been lucky that i've always attended a church i can give to as well as learn from. a church, no matter how cliche this will sound, that provided a family. a church that is focused on ministry, missions, & really discipling.
lately though i have felt severly alienated from church...which has only led me to let myself become alienated from God as well. and i gotta tell ya, that's a sucky feeling! i'm at one of the first churches that the more i try to involve myself the less welcome & less useful i feel.
so i'm sure you're asking what brought this mind boggling starvation epiphany on? what finally made me aware of how far off track i'd gotten...well, i'll tell you; i started listening to this guy and his podcast. he's like 29 and a pastor at this amazing church in montgomery, AL.
my sis-in-law was actually the one that "introduced" me to these sermons...and i must admit i was a little hesitant to just sit and listen to a preacher preach...but DUDE! this guy is so in love with God it's ridiculous. his sermons are so full of scripture and gut wrenching truth. i mean i listened to all of two pod casts and i was hooked! he had me thirsty for more...thirsty to research the verses he used. and, for once, not because said scripture was twisted to support some obsure southern baptsist truism. i was moved! i was enthralled! i was totally loving the Bible again! I'm eager to "go to church" again...albeit, podcast church. i only wish i were close enough to attend The Church at Brookhills. Or at least could find a church near by with the same love, vigor, & dedication to God & growing disciples. A new and reviving thirst is back. i'm excited to see what God has down this path for me! i'm motivated & refreshed again! i'm eager to see what path & purpose God is going to direct me to now...

so i know i'm not the only one struggling. i know i have a few friends that have met a stagnant in thier spiritual life and it's you guys that i really want to encourage. download just 2 or 3 of these podcasts & if your world isn't rocked, then i'm...well i'll be at a loss for words!

here are a few suggestions:

Free as Sons - 12/21/08
Adoption: The Heart of the Easter Story - 4/8/07
Baptism: Identification With the New Covenant - 3/22/09
Baptism: More Than Just a Symbol - 8/6/06
The Gospel & Womanhood - 5/11/08
The Gospel & Manhood - 6/15/08

1 comment:

Emily Raney said...

Ah. What a refreshing post. I'm so happy to hear that you are struggling with the same things I am. How did we get to this point and not even know it? I feel so guilty about not being more involved in church, but then I feel guilty about not really wanting to be more involved in church...if that makes sense.

David Platt is an inspiration! At the end of a difficult day, there is nothing else I want to do but grab my ipod and take a run with him.

There are days I find myself a couple of miles into a run totally drenched in tears. He is so bold, but at the same time so in tune with scriputre! I love the part where you say "scripture was twisted to support some obsure southern baptsist truism." What a great way to put it! Why is it that our pastors are spending so much time defending our RELIGION and putting down other Christian Religions. Shouldn't we be spending that energy educating the church on how to spread the Word? Or how to obey God's commandments? Or how to reach other non-christian religions?

Ah. I will step off my soapbox now. Thank you for this post!